- AMS Resurfacing Project Put On Hold
- Formula E – Leading The Way For Electric Racing
- After String Of Seconds, Kyle Larson Captures Victory In Fontana
- Mash The Gas: California Preview
- Stewart, Schatz And Larson Go Dirt Racing
- Wayne Taylor Racing Tops 12 Hours of Sebring
- Andretti Still At Home Behind The Wheel
- Rebellion Returns, On Pole At Sebring
- Sebring Photo Album
- Mash The Gas: Phoenix Preview
Tight Pro Stock Points Battle With Only Two Races Remaining
- Updated: September 16, 2015
Southern Nationals winner John Montecalvo [Chris Simmons/IHRA Photo]
NORWALK, Ohio (September 16, 2015) – The Mountain Motor Pro Stock class is enjoying their second season back with the International Hot Rod Association (IHRA) Drag Racing Series and the on-track action has been nonstop. With just two events remaining on the schedule, the top-three drivers are separated by only 51 points and the San Antonio Nationals Fueled by Sunoco will be a pivotal race in deciding the championship.
John Montecalvo currently has the points lead in his first fulltime season back with the IHRA since he won the World Championship in 2009. The Center Moriches, New York driver has two wins this season in his 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. He holds a 33-point lead over 2014 IHRA World Champion, Cary Goforth. This season Goforth has accumulated one win and two runner-up finishes in his 2014 Chevrolet Camaro. The Holdenville, Oklahoma native is looking to defend his title and add a sixth Pro Stock Championship to his resume.
John DeFlorian Jr. sits third in the Nitro Jam point standings with one win and two runner-up finishes in 2015. DeFlorian won his first IHRA Pro Stock race at the San Antonio Nationals last year and is looking for a repeat performance. The Arnold, Missouri resident currently holds the IHRA speed record in Mountain Motor Pro Stock with a 226.70 mph pass on the quarter-mile and is seeking his first Championship.
All three of the top contenders have something in common this season as they each lost in round one of eliminations at the last Nitro Jam event in Grand Bend, Ontario. The San Antonio Nationals will be a breakout race as each driver is looking to make up points from a lost opportunity at the Mopar Nationals.
Debuting in the early 1970s, the Mountain Motor Pro Stock class is one of the original classes in the IHRA and one of the most exciting. The powerful 820 plus cubic inch engines put out more than 1,500 horsepower and travel at speeds more than 220 mph.
The championship title in every class is still up for grabs and the competition will be fierce heading into the San Antonio Nationals Fueled by Sunoco at San Antonio Raceway on September 25 – 26. The Summit World Finals featuring Nitro Jam follows on October 9 – 10 at Memphis International Raceway and marks the final event this season. Tickets are available online for both events at www.NitroJam.com.
For more information regarding the IHRA or Nitro Jam, please follow us on social media: Facebook.com/NitroJam, @IHRA on Twitter and @IHRANitroJam on Instagram.
Latest posts by RacingNation Crew (see all)
- AMS Resurfacing Project Put On Hold - March 28, 2017
- After String Of Seconds, Kyle Larson Captures Victory In Fontana - March 26, 2017
- Stewart, Schatz And Larson Go Dirt Racing - March 20, 2017
- Andretti Still At Home Behind The Wheel - March 18, 2017
- Motorsports Minute: Chase Elliott - March 15, 2017